Thursday, May 27, 2010

The Parable of the Weeds

The parable in Matthew continues along an agricultural theme in Matthew which would have been very familiar to the people listening. This parable actually reverberates with pieces in the other readings for today, especially with a couple of verses in Proverbs and Psalm 37: good and bad coexist, it is hard to separate them, but there will be a final reckoning. Jesus urges us to trust that there will be a reckoning where the crops and weeds are sorted out and reminds us (again) that there, in fact, will be a reckoning.

Many of us garden. This year in Connecticut has been a tough year for an amateur like me. Yesterday the thermometer hit a record high of 97 (in May!). I remember saying out loud about a week ago that I wasn't going to plant because of the cold and wet! I did however, go out an pull up the inevitable weeds from the places where I intended to put plants. I do this every year with the sure knowledge that even after I put in the vegetables and flowers I want, the weeds will creep back in. It's just a part of nature.

I think this parable is helping me to understand that my life is not going to be perfect. Even though I want to be among the good plants, I will be surrounded by weeds, so I have to trust that things will take their course.

Food for thought (paraphrased from bible.logos.com): God is allowing the fullness of time to play out so that many people can have the opportunity to take part in God's grace and blessings. It is hard for us to understand how a good and gracious God can allow evil to exist and even appear to prosper. To destroy evil now would prevent some from having the opportunity to prosper under God's blessings. "Lord, may your word take deep root in my heart, that I may bear good fruit. May I hunger for your blessings now, so that I can trust in the reckoning to come. Amen." (see rcnet.com)

---------------------
Daily office year two:
Prov. 2:30-22.6; Psalm 37:1-18; 1 Tim. 4:1-16; Matt. 13:24-30.

No comments:

Post a Comment